Childhood and education
Abdelmalek SELLAL was born on August 1st, 1948 in the neighborhood of “Sidi Mabrouk” from a modest family from the capital of eastern Algeria “Constantine”. He obtained his baccalauréat at the Lycée Réda Houhou in Constantine. He began his graduate studies at the Faculty of Medicine of Constantine, which he abandoned to apply for the tests of the national school of administration (ENA) recently created in Algeria.
After four years of studies, Abdelmalek SELLAL obtained the diploma of ENA (Diplomatic Section) of the promotion Mohamed Aslaoui of 1974.
After leaving the ENA in 1974, Abdelmalek SELLAL joined the wilaya of Guelma, first as a director, then as chief of staff.
In 1976, he became an adviser to the Minister of Primary and Secondary Education.
In 1977, he left the ministerial offices to occupy the position of chief of daïra of Tamanrasset. In the years that followed, he held several positions of responsibility such as Chief of Daïra of Arzew, Wali of Boumerdes, Adrar, Sidi-Bel-Abbes, Oran and Laghouat.
In 1989, he was appointed, as wali, to the Ministry of the Interior. Then, Abdelmalek SELLAL joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as General Manager of Resources and Chief of Staff.
In 1996, he was appointed Ambassador of Algeria to Budapest (Hungary).
In the autumn of 1998, Liamine ZEROUAL, President of the Republic, announced his decision to shorten his mandate and organize early presidential elections.
SELLAL then joined the Government of late Smail HAMDANI as Minister of the Interior, Local Government and the Environment. It organizes the presidential elections of April 1999 which result on the election of Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA to the supreme magistracy. It also participates in the implementation of the civil concord project carried out by the President of the Republic.
He was successively appointed Minister of Youth and Sports, Public Works, Transport and then Water Resources.
On 3 September 2012, he was appointed Prime Minister.
In March 2014, Mr. Abdelaziz Bouteflika, candidate for the 2014 presidential elections nominates Mr. Abdelmalek SELLAL for the third time as campaign manager. The latter then leaves office as Prime Minister before being reinvested by the President of the Republic in May 2014.
Family and private life: The SELLAL couple has three children.
Since 2014: Prime Minister.
- 2014: Campaign Director of Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA·
- 2012-2014: Prime Minister·
- 2010-2012: Minister of Water Resources·
- 2009: campaign director of Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA·
- 2004-2009: Minister of Water Resources·
- 2004: campaign director of Abdelaziz BOUTEFLIKA.
- 2002-2004: Minister of Transport·
- 2001-2002: Minister of Public Works·
- 1999-2001: Minister of Youth and Sports·
- 1998-1999: Minister of the Interior, Local Government and the Environment·
- 1996-1997: Ambassador in Budapest (Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia)·
- 1995-1996: Chief of Staff to the Minister of Foreign Affairs·
- 1994-1995: Director of Resources at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs·
- 1989-1994: wali at the Ministry of the Interior·
- 1984-1989: wali d’Adrar, Sidi Bel Abbes, Oran, Boumerdes and Laghouat·
- 1977: chief of daïra in Tamanrasset and Arzew·
- 1976: Advisor to the Minister of Elementary and Secondary Education·
- 1975: Head of Cabinet of the wilaya of Guelma.